Hey my MindfulSistahs. Wanted to come to you today to discuss the topic of finding your inner strength. We all go through moments where life dishes devastating or struggling moments. I am the first to attest that I go into a mental and emotional rampage when something knocks me off balance. I used to cry all the time, think negatively, and blame other people for the very reason why the situation happened. This may be petty but as I got older I would look at the very way I was reacting and tell myself why did I take myself through so much mental and emotional turmoil just because life threw in some lemons. Through my learning process its all about how we react to struggling times or devastating moments. Once I learned that I began to look at hard times differently and not let it just completely break me down. So today I want to share 5 things that helped me pull through difficult times.
- It could have been much worse: When difficult times happened I would worry and take my emotions through a rollercoaster. But now I ask myself these question are our children, myself or husband hurt, are we homeless, are we starving, do we not have any clothes or shoes for our body, do I not have ways to make money etc…. Saying these very things to myself helped me calm down fast because the most important people that I love are fine and we have the necessities to live day to day. So before I break down because of a disagreement I had with my husband over why he changes the very channel I’m watching lol I think to myself those things and IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE.
- Talking to people I can trust and love: Now don’t blow me off because of this. I know there are friends and family members that you talk to and your business will be on the street as soon as your done ranting lol. But I believe that talk therapy is the best therapy to help alleviate feelings bottled up inside. Releasing what you are feeling is the reason why I am inspired to becoming a therapist. If you keep feelings locked inside of you eventually it will make you sick or make you do or react to things in a manner that you normally wouldn’t do. TALKING TO PEOPLE YOUTRUST AND LOVE will help you to process those feelings and also help with gaining knowledge on how to handle those so called lemons life throws at us.
- Do things that make you happy: I can say for myself doing things to make myself happy was hard to do. The thing is I am great at making someone else feel happy after there situation. But go totally go nuts when I’m going through something. But baaaaaaaby I have learned that no one is going to make you happy. You have control over your own happiness. Its okay to have a situation happening and you want a break from the turmoil. Do whatever it is that make you happy. Happiness can bring clarity, it and help relieve stress, make decision etc… DO THINGS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY. By the way what are those things?
- Trust that you are not the only person going through this situation: I use to think that nobody has went through so much drama as I did. Opening up and sharing my situation would always bring other people to say “Yep I went through that too.” Those very words would light me up on the inside thinking wow, I am NOT THE ONLY PERSON GOING OR HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS SITUATION. I wouldn’t light up because of there struggle ( I know where your mind is going lol) but the courage and strength that was built in that individual to not let the situation get the best of them was the light for my dark moment. They pulled through. I love talking to the older generation. They have been there done that and got the t-shirt (as my momma would say) They have been through the very same situations if not worse. If you listen really well there wisdom reveals so much in handling any situation the come your way.
- Enjoy life, nobody said that it would be easy: This one is important to me because when you think about it life is not easy. If someone told you that they lied lol. It is bound that there are going to be times where you feel like the world is on your shoulders or you feel as if things keep happening. All I’m saying is that realizing that those battling situations are going to come and they will go. Just know that troubling times will come our way it is all about how we react to them. Keep this in mind 1 Corinthians 10:13, which says, “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
That’s the post for today. I hope this information is helpful and will help you when life gets tough. Share your comments and join the MindfulSistahs email list. As always I am here for y’all, we are in this together. Y’all have a blessed week.